DONALD W. SMETHERAM, CA
- Practice focuses on providing tax advice to individuals, corporations, partnerships and trusts
- Over 25 years of tax planning experience
- More than 15 years of legal and tax litigation practice
Don was born and raised in Calgary, Alberta, moving to the Lower Mainland of British Columbia in 1983 to attend the University of British Columbia. After graduation in 1987 Don articled with Coopers & Lybrand (now PricewaterhouseCoopers) qualifying as a chartered accountant in 1990.
In 1998, Don graduated from the University of British Columbia Faculty of Law and articled with Lang Michener, before being called to the Bar in 1999. Don practiced tax and corporate/commercial law with a Vancouver tax boutique firm until 2003, when he founded Smetheram & Company. Since then, Don has represented clients in tax appeals to the Tax Court of Canada, the Supreme Court of British Columbia and the British Columbia Court of Appeal.
Degrees / Education:
- Bachelor of Laws, University of British Columbia; 1998
- CICA In-Depth Tax Course; 1992
- Bachelor of Commerce, University of British Columbia; 1987
- Member of Society of Trust and Estate Planners; 2001
- Called to the Bar of the Province of British Columbia; 1999
- Member of Institute of Chartered Accountants of British Columbia; 1990
- Member of Canadian Bar Association
- Member of Canadian Tax Foundation
Current and Former Civic Memberships Include:
- Director and Treasurer, Peace Arch Hospital and Community Health Foundation 2009 - 2013
- Board of Examiners, Institute of Chartered Accountants of British Columbia 1990-1993
- Membership Committee, Institute of Chartered Accountants of British Columbia 1990-1992
Don has authored and presented courses for the Institute of Chartered Accountants of British Columbia. Don has also taught several sessions of the Professional Legal Training Course of the Law Society of British Columbia covering the aspects of the purchase and sale of a business.
Don is married with two children. In his spare time, Don enjoys golf and hockey.
Direct: (604) 696-3190